Thursday 1 March 2018

Review: In60Learning

In60Learning reached out to me to ask if I'd like to review one of their books. I think that the premise of their company is really interesting, but I'll admit that I was dubious, which is why I agreed to do this review.

In60Learning provides non-fiction books that it claims can be read within 60 minutes. Quite the claim right? Well, they're absolutely telling the truth. I requested their biography of Marilyn Monroe, sat down, and set my phone to time how long it took me to finish. My time was just over 20 minutes (I'm a fairly quick reader.)

The other thing I was a little concerned about was how much information can they really fit into such short books? Admittedly, there isn't as much info as you'd get from a full-length book, but that just wouldn't be realistic for them. From reading the biography of Marilyn Monroe I felt I got a good amount of information, and they really provide a great timeline of events. I also really liked the short paragraph at the start of the book that gave a brief profile of Marilyn before diving into her biography. Obviously, these books wouldn't work for say, someone who wants an in-depth knowledge of a person or event, but they are good for those who have little time or even students who only need to know the basics. In fact, I can see these books being absolutely perfect for students especially if they expand into things like theory, I'd have killed for books like this on literary theory when I was a student.

One thing I would have liked to see in the book would be an extended bibliography at the back, to recommend further reading. But of course, there's nothing stopping anyone from just doing their own research and just using these books as a jumping off point which they're absolutely perfect for.

If you'd like to know more about In60Learning, you can receive promos and updates on new releases by signing up for their Learning List here.

*All opinions in this post are my own, and in no way influenced by the publisher.*

No comments:

Post a Comment