Monday 6 April 2015

Review: Frozen Charlotte by Alex Bell



Frozen Charlotte by Alex Bell
Genre: YA Horror
Published: October 2014 (Stripes)
Pages: 352
Summary: Dunvegan School for Girls has been closed for many years. Converted into a family home, the teachers and students are long gone. But they left something behind… Sophie arrives at the old schoolhouse to spend the summer with her cousins. Brooding Cameron with his scarred hand, strange Lillias with a fear of bones and Piper, who seems just a bit too good to be true. And then there’s her other cousin. The girl with a room full of antique dolls. The girl that shouldn’t be there. The girl that died.
-- Taken from Goodreads.
Available here.

I was pleasantly surprised with this book, I wasn't sure I'd like it so it's been sat lonely and forlorn in my Kindle for a few weeks. I finally got round to reading it and my goodness I loved it, in fact I read it in one sitting because I just couldn't get enough, and I might need a sequel.

So this book has everything, mysterious deaths, creepy house, horrifying dolls from a long gone era. Everything.

I'll admit I'm not usually a fan of horror stories, I'm too easily scared if I'm being honest, but this is in my top 10 books of this year so far, easily. It's beautifully written, the tone was the perfect blend of mysterious and terrifying and it gripped me from the very beginning right through till the end. But I will say it stayed with me slightly, and my porcelain doll collection has me feeling quite uneasy at the minute!

The twists in this book were phenomenal, every time I thought I'd figured everything out something new cropped up and threw me off, I didn't think I'd like that but I did because it meant the story never became predictable and I was constantly wanting more.

I rated this book 5 stars on Goodreads.

This book was given to me in exchange for a review. All opinions are my own and are in no way affected by the author or publishers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment