Friday 10 November 2017

Finished My Degree - What Now?

On Tuesday (7th November) I woke up to an email alerting me that my final uni results had gone live. I finished my degree a while ago but had been waiting on a re-submission being re-marked - it was unbearable. After weeks of checking my inbox there they finally were.

The results.

The finish line.
And I passed. I am a Master of the Arts in English. I couldn't be more thrilled. Of course, now that uni is over there's the question of what I want to do with my life. In the most basic terms, I want to work in publishing. What do I want to do in the industry? No idea. No idea at all. But I do have a few things that will help me to figure it out, and get my foot in the door of the publishing world.

This blog. This blog is the only thing I have that I can use on my CV to prove an interest in publishing, because I lack experience. That's why this is so important to me, and why it's so important to me that I get it up and running .

Secondly, I need experience. This isn't easy to get, but it's not impossible. There are lots of internships I can apply for in my region, and even a few publishing houses in my town that I can contact for potential experience days. So that's what I'll be doing in the next few months, working on gaining experience and madly applying to internships.

I also will, fingers crossed, be editing a book. I've never been more excited for anything. If this comes off it will help give me a necessary edge that other recent graduates may not have. I can't wait. Those three words sum up how I've felt for the last few days in the most perfect way.

I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment